Ocean Acres is a no-kill animal shelter located in Newcastle, St. John, Barbados. We rescue, rehabilitate and re-home abused, abandoned and unwanted dogs and cats. We are an eco-friendly non-profit organisation formed in early January 2020.
We passionately advocate animal welfare, living in a healthy environment and with a strong emphasis on community collaboration. It’s important that as a society, as human-beings, that we are kind, caring, considerate and respectful – not just towards animals but to people and our surroundings too. Every day we get a chance to be different, a chance to change, a chance to be better! The youth of Barbados are our future. Educating and developing the minds of the young is where we begin. Welcome to the Ocean Acres Youth Group.
What is the OAYG
The OAYG, the Ocean Acres Youth Group – is a new kids club to promote and encourage a kind and caring mentality towards all living creatures and the world around us. We aim to build a community of young individuals with a passion to make positive change. To educate and empower, share ideas and work together towards creating a happy, healthy, brighter future for us all. We are at the stage of start-up and are looking to recruit members.
- To educate and share information about care and kindness towards all animals
- Fundraising to help Ocean Acres continue to care for rescue dogs and cats
- To educate and promote the importance of neutering animals and fundraise to support The Spay & Neuter Program
- To champion animal welfare and encourage others to do the same
- This includes reporting animal abuse – if you see something, say something!
- This includes educating ourselves and others on the proper care of pets and also farm animals
- To educate on healthy living in an eco-friendly environment
What We Offer
- A Join and Welcome pack
- A Youth Group T-Shirt
- Animal Care and Welfare training, education courses and demonstrations
- Training videos, activities, competitions, quizzes and assignments
- Based on a points system: achievement certificates and badges on completion of various educational activities and accomplishments
- Youth Group annual celebrations
- A chance to have your say: via our Newsletter, Website and Social Media Marketing
All of the above will be outlined on our website in a staged monthly learning course format. The OAYG and its various activities are designed to be age-appropriate.
Each Member (will be required to)
- Volunteer a minimum of 4 hours per month (multiple days or in consecutive hours)
- Attend and participate in at least 2 fundraising events per year
- Attend and participate in monthly meetings either in person or via video call
- Submit a photo to be included in marketing and to appear in videos and promotional incentives
During Covid for the safety of our staff and visitors, in-person and group activities are temporarily suspended. OAYG members will be required to participate through online communication.
Who can be in the OAYG?
- Children aged 6 to 16 (children under the age of 11 are to be accompanied by an adult)
- Locals and visitors are ALL WELCOME!
- For children who can’t attend in-person, you can still be an OAYG Member by completing home tasks and assignments
Our CORE VALUES
- A KIND AND HONEST HEART
- NEVER GIVE UP ATTITUDE
- ACCOUNTABILITY & RESPONSIBILITY
- EDUCATION FOR OURSELVES AND OTHERS
- SERVICE AND HARD WORK
The benefits of being an OAYG Member
- Interact and play with lots of amazing animals
- Make new friends: be part of a group with other like-minded children
- Experience new people, opportunities and environments
- Learn to achieve, share and appreciate your knowledge, talents and abilities
- Have fun taking part in activities and learning new skills
- Find an interest in working with animals in the future – job opportunities: Pet Trainer, Pet Groomer, Vet, Veterinary Tech/Assistant, Kennel Assistant, Dog Walker, Pet-Sitter and much more…
- Be part of CHANGE! Make a difference by being the difference!
Helping these animals is no simple task. We need more than a few fundraisers, more than a few volunteers to rescue and care for these animals – we need a change – and that’s what the Ocean Acres Youth Group is about!
Think you have what it takes? We would love to have you on the Team!
Please download the form below, complete and return by email, post or in person.